Raw, paleo, sugar-free mango and passionfruit cheesecake
It’s almost time to fly north for the winter – I wish! We’re heading into the middle of autumn (or fall) Down Under and I’m no fan of the impending cold weather. Give me the burning sun and searing heat of summer with flowy dresses and thongs over the wet days and overcast skies of winter with layers and hot water bottles any day! Thankfully there are still some mangoes floating around, so I’m hanging onto the taste of summer with this decadent dessert – raw, paleo and sugar-free mango and passionfruit cheesecake!
Mangoes are high in Vitamin C (good for the immune system) and Vitamin A (helps your organs work properly). They are also good sources of soluble dietary fibre (for proper bowel function) and Vitamin B6 (for your metabolism and brain function). However, it’s important to be aware that mangoes are also high in natural sugar and carbohydrate – too much of either can affect your energy levels, among other things.
I hope you enjoy this delicious dessert, whether it’s for a special occasion or if you’re just holding on to the taste of summer!
1 cup almonds
3 medjool dates, seeds removed
1 cup coconut flakes
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 mangoes, skin and seed removed
10 passionfruit (approx 1 cup of pulp)
2 cups cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
200mL coconut cream
- Combine almonds, dates and coconut in a food processor and blend until crumbly.
- Gradually add the coconut oil.
- Transfer to a 20cm springform cake pan and press with the back of a spoon to even out the base.
- Place the base in the freezer.
- Strain ½ cup of the passionfruit pulp (reserve the remainder) over a medium sized saucepan and discard the seeds.
- Add the mango flesh, roughly chopped, to the saucepan. Stir over low-medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Continue stirring for about 2 minutes then turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Combine the mango and passionfruit with cashews, vanilla and coconut cream in food processor until smooth (depending on its size, you may have to blend in two batches).
- Pour onto the cheesecake base, cover with cling wrap and place in the freezer overnight.
- To serve, remove from the freezer and allow to sit for 5 – 10 minutes. Remove the sides of the springform pan and slice into wedges. Top with reserved passionfruit and coconut flakes.