Chilli cheese and bacon omelette with kale slaw and basil pesto
When you don’t have the time or energy to cook dinner and could really go for some takeaway, this omelette is a pretty good alternative. While omelettes are often considered a breakfast food, this supped up version of the humble omelette will satisfy your dinner-time hunger and cravings for salty and savoury food.
This omelette in particular is great for several reasons: it’s a good source of protein, contains a full serve of vegetables, is cheesy and creamy without going overboard, and has a good kick of garlic and chilli for the metabolism and immune system, and the basil pesto just makes it seem a little more sophisticated – really making it a ‘dinner’ food!
Recipe: Chilli cheese and bacon omelette with kale slaw and basil pesto
- 5 eggs
- 40mL pure cream
- 50gm cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1 small red chilli, chopped finely
- 2 bacon rashers
- 2 handfuls kale slaw salad
- 2 teaspoons of basil pesto
- Cook bacon in a frypan on a stove over medium heat until just crispy. Remove from pan and wipe out the juices with a paper towel.
- Turn the heat down to low and add a drizzle of olive oil, then the garlic and chilli, stirring constantly for about 10 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together eggs, cream and 25gm of the cheese. Add the garlic and chilli.
- Return the pan to the stove over low heat and pour in half the egg mixture, allowing it to spread across the pan. Cook for a few minutes, until the egg starts to thicken and set.
- On one side of the omelette, place a handful of kale slaw, top with bacon, then a teaspoon of basil pesto, then half the remaining cheese.
- Using an egg flip, carefully fold one side of the omelette over the top of the fillings.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Repeat steps 4 to 7 with the remaining ingredients.